Thursday, December 8, 2011

Fun at the Grocery Store

Consider for a moment that we surveyed kids with the following question: "What is your favorite part of the grocery store?"  In an informal survey, which was just performed within my own head, here are the following answers, in the order of frequency chosen.

1) Candy section
2) Cereal aisle
3) Toy section
4) Pastry section
5) Ice cream aisle. 




I think the survey was flawed, because I would have expected the ice cream aisle to be much more highly rated, but that's beside the point.

The produce section didn't even make the top ten, and yet had this question been asked of an eleven year old me, this would have been my hands down response. You see, long before there was a game called Jenga, I was honing my Jenga skills using apples, oranges, tomatos, potatoes, squash... anything that could be stacked. The object was the same as the game: to take as many strategically selected objects from the bottom of the pile and put them on top, with the intention of making the entire pile as unstable as possible.

I would move through the produce displays as quickly as possible, and then watch to see if any of the customers behind me tripped any of my produce traps.  It was especially entertaining when single customer would collapse multiple piles, or when multiple customers caused simultaneous collapses.

In retrospect, I feel a bit bad about being the cause of so much bruised fruit and veggies, but not so much that I won't occasionally destablize a pile for old time's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment