Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What Is and What Should Never Be

I saw something at the supermarket that I would like to share.  Actually it was in the supermarket parking lot, and I noticed it as I was making my way toward the door.

There, parked three spaces down from my car was a pickup truck.  It was an old pickup truck, that somebody had gotten a lot of use out of.  It had quite a few dents and dings, and the paint was faded and chipped in some places.  In others, it had been spray painted to kind of spruce it up a bit.  The licence plate was hanging at an angle, being held up by only one screw.  For that matter, the bumper was hanging kind of funny too.  The truck had a homemade camper shell, made of odd sized pieces of plywood cobbled together.

And if this were all I saw, I wouldn't be writing about it now.  I mean, I've driven my share of clunkers too.  But there was this word, sloppily painted on one of the larger pieces of plywood - a word and a phone number - that made me stop and stare, and let it all sink in.

"HANDYMAN"

Handyman.  And it made me think.  There are times when no advertising at all is better than advertising poorly.  He'd probably have better luck not advertising at all, waiting for someone to accidentally dial his number, and say, "Sorry, there's no Dorris at this number, but do you happen to need a handyman?  'Cause that's what I do." 

It's plain to me why he didn't have the funds to make his vehicle a little more presentable, and it left me feeling a little sad.  Mind you, I'm not the one to be throwing stones about someone's handyman skills.  While I consider myself highly intelligent and capable, my home repairs usually don't turn out quite the way I think they will.  I really could use a good handyman myself.  And, I'm sure the owner of that truck could use the business.  But, while it really shouldn't matter, I think I want one with better marketing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment