Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Dream Interpretations

Books that claim to be able to interpret your dreams bug me.  I'm not saying that I don't believe that they have no meaning - I mean there's probably some reason that the mind churns this stuff out, even if it's just the brain's natural equivilant of zoning out in front of the tv.  My beef is with the arrogance of the book's maker to assume that they can divine the symbolic signifigance of any of the elements of a dream.

Say you dreamt of a cow.  "Cow" is going to have a much different meaning to a butcher than to a farmer who has to shovel their patties out of the barn every day, in the same way that a Hindu would have different "cow" thoughts than a burger junkie.  And I'm pretty sure that the book doesn't take into account that the cow was tap dancing in a tree while a mime was attempting to jump over the moon inside his invisible box.

In my personal favorite dream of all time, I spent most of the dream trying to escape an alien, the blob, and the anti-blob (think tapioca pudding with an attitude).  The twist is that every time I was trapped with no way out, about to be eaten by one of the monsters, it would be time for a commercial.  Always the same commercial: Juan Valdez and his donkey, talking about real Columbian coffee beans.  When the commercial ends, suddenly there is a way to escape, only to be chased by one of the other monsters.  Interpret that!

Another favorite starred a parrot who clung to that spot on my back that I can't reach, but every time I stopped trying to grab the thing it would try to bite my ears.  In an attempt to get rid of it, I climbed down into a sewer.  I'm not really sure why I thought that would help - I just ended up all mucky with a parrot on my back. 

And what the heck does it mean when you are multiple people in the same dream, kind of like Eddie Murphy in the Nutty Professor.  This happens to me all the time.  It's like my brain is trying to cut down on cast costs or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment