Thursday, December 22, 2011

Knowledge vs Action

Which is more important, knowledge or action?  Allow me to run hypothetical a dining scenerio a few different ways to help unravel this conundrum. In each, we have gone out to lunch together to discuss business.

(Knowledge without action) I am hyper-observant, noticing every detail of the restaurant. Of the eight tables in this section of the restauraunt, two others are occupied. The first has a group of five, three women and two men. They are all well dressed, and appear to be coworkers on their lunch hour. Two of the women are eating their salads, and the other three have soup. At the second table, a man and a woman are seated. They are both nearly finished with their main dishes, veal and a seafood dish, respectively. From the way that the man is nervously fingering a small box under the table, it appears that he is about to propose. Our food arrives. You have a steaming bowl of clam chowder, with chunks of clam, potatoes, and the corner of a bandaid sticking out of the middle. I have a caesars salad, with the obligitory cheese and bacon sprinkles. Moments after you take your first bite, you spit the bandaid out and begin to gag...

(Action without knowledge) God I've got to pee! My feet are tapping up and down under the table as I silently curse, "Why did we have to pick a d*mn restaurant that doesn't have a public bathroom?!" My fingers are tapping along to Viva la Vida as I nod along to whatever you are saying. Our food arrives, and I begin shoveling it in as quick as I can, so we can pay and go. Meanwhile, you spit out the bandaid from your soup and begin to gag...

(Knowledge with action) Finally, we get a combination where I observe the bandaid in your soup and mention it to you before you stick it in your mouth. We make a large scene, and manage to get a free meal out of the deal. Unfortunately we spoil the moment for the poor soul about to propose at the next table, but you can't have everything.

Lessons:
1) Action & knowledge work best when used together.
2) You should pay more attention to your food.

No comments:

Post a Comment